Wednesday, July 30, 2008

season of compassion

Terry is an analytical thinker. I am a fluffy feeler. It physical wears me out to talk deep and swim in the sea of endless philosophy and theology when all I want to do is just laugh. But sometimes even I am gripped with the inability to laugh and the desire to analyze.

In addition to my inability to ponder endlessly about nothingness, it is equally difficult for me to read quotes and lyrics and be touched by them and their meaning. It takes quite a bit to move me. But when I am moved, I am truly affected, truly convicted and truly in love. In love with the words, the rhythm, the truth, and the profoundness that envelopes my soul in a matter of minutes. And it honestly only happens a couple times a year. This might seem sad to some, but I like it. I like it that is takes that long for something to stop me in my tracks, awaken my mind and stir my heart.

It happened this week…my bi-annual kick in the pants. This time it was a song by Brandon Heath. I am guilty of lack of compassion, especially for the “world.” It seems too big. Too daunting. Last week one of our associate pastors spoke on missions. He is the most passionate person I have ever met in regards to missions. And though I, we, do not feel a call to the mission field, I cannot ignore the impact Phil’s preaching had on me. The “world” is in my own back yard, in my workplace, in this small town. And although it still seems daunting and intimidating, I have been awakened to a new compassion for this place. This place that god created and made for us, his children.

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the once forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see

So, when I heard these words, this song, I was gripped. I am learning, I am pondering, and I am swimming in this deep sea of compassion and what it means and how it feels. It is refreshing to be in a season of learning. Even if it does mean being a little terry – for a season.

2 comments:

AnnieBlogs said...

I LOVE Brandon Heath.

Listen to "Don't Get Comfortable"- it's amazing.

Love ya.

The Guthries said...

I love this song, too, Whitney. Aside from all the real implications it has, doesn't it have a great beat, too? This coming from an oh-so-white girl. :-)