Monday, August 18, 2008

my weight story

So I feel the need to write this. I have no idea why because it is more than slightly embarrassing. I take that back, I do know why I am writing this…because of Sarah. I don’t know her except through this blog world but I like her. More than just liking her and the words she writes, we share something in common. We both have a weight journey, story, history, whatever you want to call it. But because of her, she has inspired me to open up and write about it. You don’t have to read, but please bear with me as I write.

I have never had the “skinny” gene. In high school I wasn’t the skinniest, but I also didn’t worry about my weight that much because I was so involved in sports everything took care of itself. My freshman year at UGA was a big change. Because Athens is so hilly and I walked to every class, I started noticing that my pants fit differently. Then I noticed they fit a lot differently. I started going to the gym, sometimes twice a day, walking to all my classes, and barely eating 1000 calories. I had never been this person…and now I was.

It didn’t last long. I moved in to the ADPi house and slowly started gaining some of that weight back (I mean, have you had Mr. Fred’s sweet tea???). Though I was never big by society standards, I did get used to that feeling of being small and I wasn’t anymore. I had lost my motivation. After 4 years at UGA I moved to Birmingham where I met Terry. Once we got engaged I was determined to get my 155 pound self into the best shape of my life. And I did. Many say I was too skinny at 135 in my 5’-10” frame, but it felt fabulous. I felt like I could do anything. I felt beautiful.

Then, welcome to marriage my friends. It is so hard to admit that once I got married I let it slide. I had reached my pinnacle, I had my wedding photos to prove it but I was not willing to keep it up. I feel like I lied to Terry. I stood before him and promised him eternity but didn’t promise to keep myself physically in check. Now I know Terry doesn’t love me for what I look like, but it does hurt to think that he saw his wife that day as his eternal partner and now when he sees me, he sees someone different - physically.

So I gained weight. I went from 135 to 160 in a matter of 3 years. Then I got pregnant. The morning before I had Addison, I weighed 231. You do the math. I thought I was going to be embarrassed typing those numbers, but I am sad and in tears. I am truly, truly heartbroken. Heartbroken at the lack of discipline I had. Heartbroken that I could have put my unborn child’s life in danger. Heartbroken that I could not control myself.

In Addison’s first six months of life I went down 231 to 196. Most of that was baby weight and getting over pregnancy, but I least it was under 200. In January, when Addison was 7 months old, I joined weight watchers, reluctant that it would work. But it did, from January to June I went from 196 to 170.

And that is where the story ends. My goal was 145, but here I am, stuck at 171. To me, 171 still seems sooo big, but then, looking at where I have come, I feel so small. See my dilemma? I am comfortable, yet I am not. I am satisfied, but then I am not at all. I am realistic, I know that my wedding weight was not ‘”me”. But then again, this is not the “me” either. So I need your help, or maybe just words of encouragement and prayers. I am joining Sarah as I hit this last homestretch. Feel free to join, or just let me update you on my progress as I weigh in week to week. But more than anything, thank you for letting me share my story.

9 comments:

Robyn Herring said...

Girl, you are BRAVE! I am so with you. My story sounds so similar. I was my heaviest when I got pregnant too and although I got back to pre-pregnancy, my clothes don't fit. And that's worse to me than numbers!!! Do you want to walk in the mornings with me and Brigette? Maybe we could do 5:45 . . . that would be a stretch for me, but it's so much easier when you have friends with you!

Shannon Lewis said...

Love you :)

K.S. said...

you are amazing and wonderful and i will certainly be praying for you...love you!

Val said...

Wow- good for you for opening up Whit. I JUST sold my precious, precious "I will never get into these again" jean collection on ebay...it was so depressing...BUT I also had to realize that my pre-marriage weight and size of 0/2 WAS not realistically me and really a fluke that it ever happened. I heard a message on Briarwood station the other day about our focus on our self- image...she made reference to what she finds beautiful in women and I totally agreed. When I think about who I think, "Wow, she has so got it together and looks so good in her skin" I really couldn't even tell you how much they weigh or what size they are- it's the girls that carry themselves with the utmost self confidence when they walk in a room, and smile, with their shoulders held back greatly pleased being who they are...the lady on the radio station said almost all men agree with this statement. Scott said he did, for what that's worth! SO, moral of the story is- we need to walk around snoody as all get out that we look good and the self confidence should follow!! :-) WITH that said, I also have friends who have had 2 babies and look like they NEVER even thought about having a child- I know I will never be that person, and why should I think that is what is attractive- I'm proud to be a mommy and it's okay to "somewhat" look like one as long as I feel confident about that.

Val said...

And I wanted to add, I think you look great...I meant to tell you that the other day when we were at your house. I, too, may join your quest though to lose a few more of those "Extra baby pounds".

whitney said...

robyn...i would love to walk with y'all in the morning but would hate to make you get up that early. talk to brigette and get back to me :)

shan and kel...i love you girls!

val...thank you for all of that, seriously. i think the hardest challenge besides losing weight is keeping my goals in check - what do i really want to gain from losing? it is not the approval of others, but more the respect of my body and my God who gave me this skin to walk around in. in the meantime, yes! lets walk around with our heads held high and proud as all get out :)!

Camille said...

I'm so proud of you Whit. I love Sarah's blog too and love that you took her lead of vulnerability. That is a big step! I will be praying for you and love you so much.

Sarah Markley said...

Annie sent me your link and I love what you wrote. You are brave - its hard getting that stuff out there.

Keep going; your attitude is wonderful! =)

I'm glad Annie emailed me!!

The Davis Family said...

Whitney,
I think you are amazing. I am so close to my goal weight, I can taste it. Thing is, my body is still different. My clothes don't fit and the weight has all shifted around. The gym sucks and food is too good. My strategy- for me- I started parking on the top level of the deck at work and when I leave, I have to walk the whole deck to get to the car. This is the first week, so pray for me to have endurance. I think that you are wonderful and I am proud of you. Do they have a class to teach that confidence thing??? I love you
Katie