Friday, January 19, 2007

words

I was sent an email yesterday from a couple of friends that asked me to send back one word that describes them…one word? Are you kidding me? That is almost as bad as a personality test trying to fit someone in one category. I can’t do it. I can’t stand it. But I tried and I did it. I sent back my one word answers, all the while cringing because there is no way one word can describe a person…especially people I love. I love them for many words, not just one. The email then instructed me to send out the email and see what “one words” I got in return. Once again, I can’t do it. Maybe I just don’t have the courage to see what would be said. Or maybe I don’t want to see all these positive words because I know they are not all true…I am made up of good and bad words.

I thought about it for a while, and as hard as it would be, I would want to see what “bad” words people would say to describe me over the good ones. You see, it is those kinds of words that make me a better person. It is those kinds of words that have me running to the cross in repentance. Those are the words I need. I all too often get caught up in the good words that describe me that I forget the desperate need of a savior.

So, after a day of contemplating this email and getting way to deep about something that was intended for fun, I realized I like four words for myself…Sinner, Repenter, Forgiven, Saved. Those four words are my good and bad. But more importantly they encompass me - my past, my present, my future, and my eternity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so beautiful with words Whit. You and I have the most amazing Savior on earth. I can think of SO MANY incredible words to describe you and Jesus! Thank you for always reminding me of our God who loves us so, our strong points and weak points. You always give me perspective that I so desparately need!

kel :)